Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Worse Date Ever!

Everyone has been on bad dates. I mean, I have been on a date where the guy had zero money. He took me to the lake for a moonlight walk on the first date. I was okay with that. Dating isn't about how much money a guys spends. It's on the quality of what a good time you have. If a woman is going out with a guy just so he spends money on her - well, that's an entirely different topic.

The worse date I have ever experienced has to be where we went to see a scary movie. I didn't really want to go on this date in the first place, but the guy asked me and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He was kind of an underdog. After this date, I think I figured out why.

We get into the movies and things are relatively normal. However, I was a bit thankful the movie was going to start soon. He constantly was talking about himself and all the wondrous glory that was him. How lucky I was that I accepted to be on a date with him. How intelligent he was. Everything that he thought I should know about him so that I didn't miss any detail. By this point, I wanted to miss all the details. I was polite, though. My mommy always said that I should smile and be polite even in the face of adversity. Believe me, I was feeling mighty adverse at this point.

I was thankful when the movie started. Although that was a short lived thankful moment. The guy was actually screeching in fear at the movie. Not the little "oh!" startled moment. Nope. He was actually competeing with the characters on the film who were on the verge of being maimed, murdered, and/or eaten alive.

I sunk a bit in my seat, hoping there was no one in the theater that would recognize me. I moved over in my seat about as far as the seat rails would allow. They don't make those seats nearly wide enough, by the way. My biggest fear at this time was that the guy would wind up in my lap.

Why take a girl to a spooky movie if you can't handle your scare? It's a question that may never be answered to my satisfaction.

You would think at this point that it would be the end of the worse night ever as he drove me home. One would hope, but one would be wrong.

As we pulled into the driveway of my house, after listening to his "Ode to Self" on the way home and how he completely puts himself into the movies he watches. (This I noticed. Unfortunately he was a survivor and not a victim, in this case.) I had reached my politeness breaking point.

He looks at me and tells me, "I'm going to let you kiss me now." I was astounded. Let me kiss him? He's lucky I didn't smack him upside the head and cause him more brain damage.

I simply replied with all the nice Southern Hospitality I could muster, "Don't do me any favors."

I got out of the car and walked away. There was never a second date.

The moral of the story is this: If you are on a very bad date, end it. Don't torture yourself or the other person with thinking they have a chance. Be kind, but honest. Simply say, "I'm sorry, but I'm really not having a good time and I think I am going to go home now. Thank you for meeting me."

In the meantime, how about sharing some of your own bad dating experiences? It could be fun and helpful to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment